The London data center market is one of the most active colocation ecosystems in the world with a strong networking, internet, and cloud infrastructure presence. London is a strategic hub for data center services for both UK organizations as well as multinational companies who have established offices there and, from both a physical and digital perspective, require reliable services to reach local customers even faster. As one of the leading data center providers in Europe, e-shelter continues to build the foundation to successfully serve this vibrant data center market today and in the future. e-shelter is constructing one of the largest data centers in Europe in Dagenham, East London. Dagenham is located approximately 20 km east of London city center and 15 km away from the Docklands, which is established as the UK’s Internet Hub and serves as a backbone for the majority of the London Internet Exchange’s (LINX) infrastructure. Dagenham is also situated close to Shoreditch, which has recently become known as ‘East London Tech City’ or ‘the Silicon Roundabout,’ as many technology companies and start-ups have started to reside in the area.
The new campus will be known as “London 1 Data Center” (London 1) and is capable of up to 25,600 sqm of IT space and 64 MW IT load once fully developed. Phase one, with an initial 8 MW IT load, is targeted for a April 2020 opening, with three further phases planned to follow.
In addition, London 1 will join the five existing NTT-owned data centers currently operated by Gyron, a UK data center operator with nearly two decades of experience and expertise that was acquired by NTT Communications in 2012. These data centers are located in the areas of Hemel Hempstead and Slough, respectively, both in the North-West region of London. With the addition of the Dagenham campus, e-shelter will be interconnected with these existing data centers, creating an impressive networked London operating platform and able to support over 100 MW of IT load. All e-shelter data center facilities serve traditional wholesale and retail colocation and hybrid IT solutions, supporting customer market segments such as Enterprise, Hyperscale, SaaS, Telco, CDN and Cloud.
At a glance: London 1 Data Center
- Power supply on 132 kV level from two grid connections
- Own substation with two 132/11 kV transformers 2n
- Two separate UPS systems (A- and B- supply) with n+1 redundancy
- Redundantly designed emergency power system with diesel generators n+1
- Monitoring by e-shelter own 24/7 Security Command and Control Center with security personnel from e-shelter security on-site
- Standardized security processes and the 7-level security system secure the tenant areas and technical operations
- Access control via non-contact chip and PIN or optional biometrics signature
- Secured perimeter zones with electronically monitored security fencing system, incorporating anti-climb and anti-tunnelling protection
- Monitoring of all critical infrastructure by e-shelter's own operation staff on-site
- Standardized operation processes with amplified technical systems redundancy in order to ensure maximum reliability
- Carrier-mix from global Tier I supplier to local supplier
- Redundant Carrier-Meet-Me-Rooms (CMMR)
- Redundant cabling infrastructure with diverse paths
- Pre-Cabling to support fast cross connect deployments
- Inter DC Connectivity between NTT Data Centers for geo redundant solution
- Multi Cloud Interconnection platform to connect our customers to major cloud service providers such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform