The Internet of Things technology is powering ahead at an accelerated pace. The Gartner Group estimates that tens of billions of devices will be interconnected by 2020, where both personal and corporate IoT devices can be optimized for cost and production efficiencies and drive business solutions to the next level. At the e-shelter innovation lab, we have taken an active part in embracing IoT with customers and partners. We have participated in a wagon freight use case involving IoT and the below use-case explores monitoring electrical meters in the home.
IoT Use Case 2: IIOT Platform with Spirit/21 and Dell EMC
The SPIRIT/21 Industial Internet of Things (IIoT) Platform is used for reading wireless electricity meters via wMBus protocol and acquires data from remote home automation sensors via a DELL Edge Gateway. Live visualization and analytics of the consumed electricity and home automation data is performed on the backend.
The SPIRIT/21 IIoT Platform can serve as middleware between data points and existing systems or as a central repository to store and process data. With DELL industry-grade Edge Gateways and the SPIRIT/21 edge software, customers can leverage a universal data aggregation system for any sensor or plant – no matter which industry protocol or IT protocol. Data is securely transferred and cached on the gateway until the database write is acknowledged. With a scalable system (including database) and an intuitive data visualization module, you get the power to create your own BI. Flexible data processing and flow-based programming enables power-users and DevOps-engineers to fine-tune business logic on the go. Using only open source software, the solution belongs to the customer. It offers the organization flexible hosting in the cloud, on-premises, at e-shelter or as a Managed Service by SPIRIT/21 or any combination of these. Container technology orchestrated by Kubernetes offers HA, load-balancing and scalability out of the box while being resource efficient.
A demo of an IIOT platform at the Hannover Messe, 2019.
- Consolidation of the “software zoo” in the field – acquire and process any sensor and any protocol with one single backend. Only the gateway at the edge changes depending on the sensor protocol
- Data insights into consumption and how to better manage usage
- Central for everything producing data
- “Think big, start small." 100% transferability from prototype to production
- Easy and affordable to get a start in Industry 4.0
- Live monitoring for both Operational Technology (OT) and IT and automated actions translate into increased yield rates in production
- More data means more insight and more control
- Endless possibilities without disrupting existing systems/processes
To learn more about the Innovation lab, please visit the e-shelter website to see how we can help your business.